Linn has announced that AirPlay 2 functionality is being rolled out to Linn DSM. Next-generation Klimax DSM, Majik DSM/4, any Klimax DS/DSM upgraded with Organik, and all newly manufactured Selekt DSM possess AirPlay 2 hardware; the software to activate it is currently in beta, with an upcoming release version bringing this new functionality to thousands of Linn network music player owners.
AirPlay 2 is an Apple technology designed to control home audio systems and compatible 3rd-party speakers – with a tap or by just asking Siri – right from iPhone, iPad, HomePod, or Apple TV.
This means that owners of the aforementioned products will be able to cast audio, in sync, not just to their Linn DSM, but also to compatible 3rd-party speakers and systems on the same network simultaneously – all via Apple’s iOS platform. This new feature will be of particular interest to your customers who favour the Apple Music streaming platform.
Linn DSMs with AirPlay 2 are recognised by Apple’s HomeKit; meaning you can use the ‘Home’ app to label all compatible speakers and systems in the household and add them to rooms and scenes – which can then be automated. This is a big deal for fans of Siri, as they can then control any device in the Home app using their voice.
- In order to take advantage of AirPlay 2, you must have iOS 11.4 or later installed on your Apple device.
- To enjoy Apple Music Lossless over AirPlay 2, you must have iOS 14.6 or later installed.
- Instead, if using a computer, iTunes 12.8 or later is required on PC, or macOS Catalina or later on a Mac.
- AirPlay 2 maximum stream resolution is 16bit/44.1kHz
- AirPlay 2 hardware is fitted to newly manufactured Selekt DSMs only. You can confirm compatibility by reviewing the board versions reported back by Konfig / Manage Systems; PCAS 1110 is AirPlay 2 compatible, whereas the former board, PCAS 973, is not.